Monday, January 9, 2017

Seven minutes in stroke - Anna Weichselbaum

1.  What inspired you towards neuroscience?
During my medical studies in Debrecen, Hungary I was introduced to a highly interesting and complicated field which had still so many unknown aspects.
The fact that many neurological diseases have still no treatment and cause unfortunately disability and death, made me feel challenged and it motivated me to search for answers.
My goal in life is to contribute to this mysterious field and improve and save people’s life.

2. Why stroke? 
Stroke can unfortunately be a very devastating disease. It is pleasant to be able to improve and to cure people which suffer from stroke. Seeing my patients smile, after being able to move again their limb or to be able to speak, worth’s everything for me.

3. What have been the highs so far?
Besides being a resident, I am currently taking part as well at the ‘European master in stroke medicine’ which is taking place in Austria. This course is a great opportunity to acquire knowledge in stroke medicine from the best neurologists and neuroscientists in this field. Later on, after finishing my residency, I would like to complete PhD studies.

4.   What have been the lows?
Losing patients life despite performing all lifesaving treatments and methods, makes me still disappointed.
In addition, the difficulty combining working full time as a neurologist, being a mother and doing research.

5.   How do you balance work life with the needs of home life?
I think that to find the right balance is pretty difficult for every physician especially for a woman and mother. Being raised by my mother which is a great physician and mother, made me being able to incorporate both things in life. Thanks to precise planning its working not bad so far.

6.   Who are your most important mentors and how did you find them?
The decision to become a medical doctor was influenced by my physician mother. I am very happy to have her there always for me and for directing me in my life. My love to neurology was attributed to my neurology professor during my medical education Prof. Dr. László Csiba. The way he taught fascinated me and I have decided to become a neurologist and later on to teach students the same great way that he performed it. I am as well very thankful to Dr. Milan Vosko which is the head of the stroke unit in the hospital I am working at. He taught me Neurosonology, clinical oriented case solving and was always there when I needed advices. Furthermore, it was a privilege to get to know Prof. Dr. Michael Brainin during my current master studies and I am looking forward acquiring knowledge from him.

7.   What are your most important collaborations and how have you built them?

Working in a big university hospital requires a good network among cerebrovascular neurologists, radiologists, vascular surgeons and cardiologists.  Currently we are having a very interesting collaboration with our ophthalmology department concerning the treatment of an acute central retinal artery occlusion with Intravenous tPA. International collaborations are the best opportunities to combine different expertise to gain better insights into neurological complex diseases.

Dr. Anna Weichselbaum is a neurology resident at the Kepler University Clinic, department of Neurology II, Linz, Austria

Featured Post

Epidemiologic profiling for stroke in Nepal: Endeavour towards establishing database

Resha Shrestha  @avi_neuro. , MS 1 , Avinash Chandra, MD 1 , Samir Acharya, MS 1 , Pranaya Shrestha, MS 1 , Pravesh Rajbhandari, MS 1 , Re...